The Most Groundbreaking Government Commissioned, Ministry of Health Funded, Manga Report
Pran Manga Ph.D. et al. The Effectiveness and Cost-Effectiveness of Chiropractic Management of Low-Back Pain. Ontario Ministry of Health 1993
This government funded report found:
"On the evidence, particularly the most scientifically valid clinical studies, spinal manipulation applied by Chiropractors is shown to be more effective than alternative treatments for low back pain." "There is an overwhelming body of evidence indicating that chiropractic management of low back pain is more cost-effective than medical management."
"There should be a shift in policy to encourage and prefer Chiropractic services for most patients with low-back pain." "A very good case can be made for making Chiropractors the gatekeepers for management of low-back pain."
Key Study Concepts:
The Manga Report represents the biggest and most extensive government initiated and funded review of the literature regarding the treatment of Low Back Pain in history.
The reason for the report was rising costs of healthcare. The main focus was on back pain and back pain related disability, and the lack of evidence for many commonly used treatments.
The study concluded:
"In our view, the constellation of the evidence of:
(1) the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of Chiropractic management of low-back pain.
(2) the untested, questionable or harmful nature of many current Medical therapies.
(3) the economic efficiency of Chiropractic care for low-back pain compared with medical care.
(4) the safety of Chiropractic care.
(5) the higher satisfaction levels expressed by patients of Chiropractors, together offers an overwhelming case in favour of much greater use of Chiropractic services in the management of low-back pain.
Key Study Points:
Chiropractic has been found, by the most comprehensive independent, government initiated, government funded report in history, to be the most evidence-based, most effective, most cost-effective, safest option for patients with back pain that also produces the highest level of patient satisfaction.
If you are in the Belfast area and want to be helped with back pain - please contact our office on
028 9600 9075